Fiction Master
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arabelle- by Super Duper Donut, Prologue, Fantasy

Go down

Arabelle- by Super Duper Donut, Prologue, Fantasy Empty Arabelle- by Super Duper Donut, Prologue, Fantasy

Post  Super Duper Donut Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Prologue

Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day, six-year-old Arabelle chanted in her head. It was almost nine but Arabelle didn’t mind. She knew Daddy was a busy and important man. A flash of lighting and booming thunder made the poor little girl jump and watch it rain harder. The small umbrella hardly did anything to protect to her from the icy cold drops. Arabelle tipped the umbrella upward and peered both ways down the street. Daddy still wasn’t here, but that was okay. Today was too special for it to be ruined.

Minutes later, a pair of bright headlights belonging to a Mercedes shined through the heavy rain and into Arabelle’s eyes. She squinted and grinned. That black Mercedes belonged to Daddy. The car slowed and rolled up to Arabelle. The back door opened and she hopped in without hesitation. A man with short trimmed red hair and crystal blue eyes sat in the backseat with a laptop.

“Hi Daddy,” Arabelle said buckling up. When the driver heard the click, he started speeding off. Daddy didn’t respond. He wouldn’t forget what today was. “Are we going home? I haven’t eaten dinner yet.”

“No, I need to stop by my office,” Daddy said still glued to the computer in his lap. Arabelle nodded.

“But do you have a snack? I’m really hungry.”

“Eating snacks before dinner will make you fat. Do you want to be fat?” Daddy asked. Arabelle shook her head and poked her stomach when Daddy wasn’t looking. Was she fat?

“I’m sorry, Daddy,” Arabelle said. Her attention turned to the rain that was currently pounding on the Mercedes window. Another flash of lightning and the trailing sound of thunder. They rolled on for about eighteen more blocks before stopping in front of a large black corporation tower. The driver handed Daddy an umbrella. Daddy stuffed the laptop into his bag and got out of the car. Arabelle followed and tried to grab his hand while they walked into the building.

“No! You’re going to get my bag and computer wet,” he said pushing her small hand away.

“I’m sorry,” Arabelle said. It was okay if Daddy got mad at her. She knew his time was valuable and shouldn’t be wasted with stupid signs of affection. What was she thinking? The only thing Arabelle was concerned about was if Daddy forgot what today was. Daddy unlocked the glass doors and entered the corporation tower. Unfortunately, young Arabelle didn’t know the door swung back and forth so the door crashed into her and she went down with an “oof!” Daddy peered back and sighed impatiently.

“Why are you on the ground?” he asked.

“I’m sorry. The door swung back on me.” Arabelle pushed herself up and grabbed her damaged umbrella. She was wasting his time and should be ashamed. Daddy’s business was a twenty-four hour job. Arabelle followed Daddy through a maze of halls and to a shiny elevator. The door opened and the two stepped in hurriedly. Arabelle because her stomach was growling and Daddy because he had a very important business deal. But it had absolutely nothing to with his architectural trade. Daddy pressed the fifteenth button and felt the elevator shoot up. Arabelle loved riding on the elevator and slowly inched her hand over to the buttons to press another one . . .

“An elevator is not a play toy. Don’t touch anything,” Daddy scolded. He taught his daughter to act better. What was wrong with her?

“I’m sorry Daddy,” Arabelle said staring at her feet. With a small ding the bronze and silver elevator doors opened. Daddy stepped out first and started speeding down another maze of hallways like he forgot Arabelle existed. But Arabelle blamed herself for not being able to keep up with her father’s quick steps. If things weren’t made on time, Daddy would be late and that couldn’t happen. Daddy led them to what look like a frosted walls and door conference room. Arabelle could see a disoriented person shape waiting in there. She knew that when Daddy was going into a meeting, she would have to wait outside quietly.

“You’re coming in,” Daddy said, as if reading his daughter’s mind. They both entered quietly and sat down at a cherry wood table. Arabelle studied the person.

She was a woman with amber eyes and hair like a lion. Her lips were coated in bright red lipstick and her ears with large gold hoop earrings. Arabelle decided she looked pretty, especially her cheetah print dress. “I thought I would have to wait an eternity for you,” the amber eyed woman said.

“Today was another-” Daddy started but was cut off.

“Busy day, yes I know. Just save the excuses and sign the paper.” Arabelle raised both of her eyebrows. No one talked to Daddy like that. She expected him to yell, “You’re fired!” or “The deal is off.” He had a sour temper.

“Hand them over,” he said evenly. The woman handed a curdled milk colored paper over to Daddy and pulled a pen out. Arabelle couldn’t help but peek at the paper. Her reading level was high enough for her to read Magic Tree House books by herself which was spectacularly well. For a first grader anyways.

Special Children of the World Agency

Special Children of the World specializes in hospitalizing your special needs child. Our institutes are located in over one thousand countries to help cure the children of their ‘condition’. If your child has any crucial medical conditions we will take extra precautions. Necessary medication will be provided for them. The closest agency to you is located in Jersey City, New Jersey. If you are interested in a better future for your child please contact us at www.SCW.com and make a personal meeting. Make the right choice and help the children of the world.

Arabelle’s stomach churned as she read the memo. She wasn’t sick or a special needs child. Why would Daddy have this?

“Arabelle, I need you to sign in the black line here,” Daddy said handing her a pen. At the bottom of the page he had signed on one of the blank lines with his squiggly signature.

“I’m not sick Daddy,” Arabelle said. “And I’m not a special needs child. There’s nothing wrong with me.”

“Yes there is. I need you to sign this paper so Ms. Lionette can take you to the special hospital where children like you can get better. Now take the pen and-”

“No,” Arabelle said firmly. She didn’t know who was more shocked: herself or Daddy. Arabelle always followed the rules. “No,” she repeated. “I’m not sick and I don’t have any type of ‘condition’. I’m healthy in every way.”

“Sweetie,” Ms. Lionette spoke to her. “You’re very important, possibly even dangerous. We’re taking you away for awhile so we can cure you.”

“I keep telling you I’m not sick!” Arabelle said, her voice rising with every word. “And you can’t take me away. Mommy doesn’t know about this.” She turned to Daddy. “Right?”

“Mommy already signed the paper,” Daddy said motioning to Mommy’s much neater signature.

“You’re giving me away to stranger?” Arabelle asked in a strangled voice. Daddy did forget what today was.

“Ms. Lionette is not a stranger. She’ll help you get better,” Daddy promised. Arabelle’s fist clenched. She was upset.

“You forgot about today didn’t you?” she asked.

“Today is any other normal day. Now don’t change the subject and sign the paper.” A strangled sound came from the back of Arabelle’s throat but she got herself under control.

“Sweetie,” Ms. Lionette said again. “My time and your Daddy’s time is valuable. Sign the paper and we can be on our merry way.”

“Daddy, today’s my birthday,” Arabelle said. “You were going to give me away on my birthday.” Daddy was always prepared for everything. Natural disasters, criminals, or a dying person he could handle. But forgetting his daughter’s birthday hit him like a pile of bricks.

“It is?” he asked.

“How could you forget?” Arabelle asked. “I’m your only child! But you don’t care. The only reason I’m here instead of standing in the rain is because you’re scared I’m going to burn down the house!” Daddy slowly backed away from his angry daughter. He was very afraid she was going to burn the house down.

“Don’t get mad. We can go to the store and-” Apparently today was cut off Daddy day because Arabelle kept doing exactly that.

“It’s too late. Now it’s almost nine thirty. I stood in that rain waiting for you for about six hours!” she shouted. Lionette saw the alarm in Daddy’s eyes and slowly made her way to the door. This kid was going to kill them all. “Now you’re saying I’m sick and that I need treatment but I don’t! This is who I am. Why can’t you accept that?”

Arabelle wasn’t sick or a special needs child (as she made very clear a few moments ago). But she was different. Abnormal, strange, odd, irregular, nonstandard. No matter how you phrase it, she was extraordinary. Her ‘condition’ was dangerous and Daddy saw it to be ‘cured’ as quickly as possible. The Special Children of the World Agency was the only organization that could help. No matter how high the fee was, he would pay. To him, this treatment was critical.

“I know you’re not sick but your condition is dangerous when you’re mad or upset. If you sign the paper and go with Ms. Lionette, we can fix that. You can come home soon and it can be Mommy, Daddy, and Arabelle again. Just sign the paper and we’ll be okay.”

“You’re not my Daddy. You don’t love me,” Arabelle said.

“I do love you,” Daddy said.

“Stop lying!” That was it. Arabelle’s clenched fists turned into blinding white balls of flame that started creeping up her arms and spreading down her legs. Her fire truck red hair stood on end and turned a part of the forming human flame. Soon, to Daddy’s horror Arabelle was a burning white blaze. The only way to tell if she wasn’t an actual fire was the human silhouette and the faint lines of lips and eyes on her face.

“Please stop,” Daddy begged.

“I hate you.” That was the last thing Arabelle could remember. It was like she fell unconscious or had amnesia. When Arabelle did regain her wits, she was standing outside in front of the burning corporation tower. Smoke was pouring from the windows indicating there was a one and a million chance that clean air was still circulating in the building.

Arabelle’s knees buckled as she felt horror and guilt creep over her. What did she do? She didn’t mean to get so mad. She should have just signed the paper and gone with Ms. Lionette. Where was Daddy? Was he still in the building? Tears started forming in Arabelle’s eyes. Did the driver call 911? If so, how much longer would they be? The black Mercedes had vanished and left no recognition. Arabelle’s tears started spilling over as she cried harder and harder. Her legs refused to move. They were limp and dead. Sirens sounded somewhere in the distance but Arabelle hardly heard them. Why didn’t Daddy walk out yet?

I’m so sorry Daddy, Arabelle thought. I didn’t mean to. I’m so sorry. Please come out already. Her prayers were useless. Even though Arabelle was now only seven, she was a murderer. She had killed Daddy.
Super Duper Donut
Super Duper Donut

Contribution : 4470

Back to top Go down