Demon Soul-by Neuravinci, Chapter 2, Fantasy/YA

Go down

Demon Soul-by Neuravinci, Chapter 2, Fantasy/YA

Post  neuravinci on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:49 pm

This began when I was in my university’s library one night. Sounds of silence encapsulated the area, since it was near closing hour. I was in the upper region, a small nook in the huge library. Pale light sneaked into the area, and I intently read my book.
There was no one around.
After several chapters of my textbook had been read through, I decided to stretch and take a break. I had one more hour before the library closed. It took several minutes for me to get to the bathroom and back to my desk on the other side of the level.
I got back to my desk, a small envelope resting on it. I looked around, checking to see if anyone was nearby. The entire area was empty and unmoving, except for my presence.
The envelope felt light when I picked it up, as if only a single piece of paper was the corpse that lay in that paper coffin. The envelope’s face was blank save for my name. Ripping open the top of the envelope as curiosity developed in my mind, I pulled out a single sheet of paper. It was folded in three parts, and so I carefully unfolded it to read its contents.
The note was blank.
I was confused, turning the paper this way and that, hoping that there was something written on it somewhere. Holding up the note to the light, I opened my mouth and began dispersing hot air over the page, wondering all the while if there was some sort of invisible ink that was activated by humidity.
Nothing happened.
Shaking my head, I refolded the paper. Red drops formed on my flesh and a crimson orb fell onto the paper. I had cut myself on the paper. I ran a clean finger on top of the drop, spreading it on the paper, hoping to at least dry off some of the blood that escaped onto the sheet. Wrapping a tissue around my bleeding finger, I waited for coagulation to occur.
This is when I noticed something odd.
I unfolded the paper once more and words seared my eyes. Wherever there was blood, there were words, written in a neat hand. I was confused, wondering if I had missed the words before. But I couldn’t have, because they were clearly not there before. And odd that they should only occur where the blood had spilled.
Could my blood have activated the ink?
I looked at my cut finger, the crimson fluid starting to clot. Peeling away the tissue and wincing at the slight pain, I squeezed at the part of the flesh underneath the paper wound, willing more blood to spill. It worked and I got a fresh droplet of red liquid to form.
I ran my bloody finger along the surface of the top of the paper, a little way down from the upper edge. I waited a few seconds, watching my blood seep through the tissues of the paper, the note imbibing my biological wine.
Black script appeared on the paper.
Curiosity built up within me as I wondered what was going on. I looked around the library, hoping that no one was stalking me. I squeezed more blood from my paper cut, running my bloody flesh over the paper, painting its surface with red color.
More words began appearing as I spread my blood on the paper’s surface. Soon, a clot formed on my finger and the blood refused to pour out. I looked around, wondering if I had anything to stab myself with. Flinching at the thought of causing myself pain, I grabbed the envelope and ran my finger along its edge. More of my precious blood spilled, and that meant more words could be seen on the note. The entire note was soon covered in biological rust.
All of the words were now apparent.
You may be wondering if this is some sort of sick joke. It’s not.
You are a pure dichotomy of good and evil, the truest essence of a Jekyll and Hyde. The evil lurks in the shadows of the good. You are dark.
Before you realized that this paper needed your blood, you breathed on it. Do this now at the bottom of the page, beneath the words, and you will see a symbol, the rune of our kind. Keep the image in mind, for it will soon fade, and will not reappear. Don’t bother trying to draw it, you will not have the time. The image fades quickly.
I stared up, looking around once more to notice if anyone was near.
Nothing.
At least, nothing I could see or sense.
Following the note’s instructions. I breathed on the bottom of the page and waited.
Nothing appeared.
I tried again.
A skull ghosted onto the page. The skull rested atop an open book. Bookmarking the page was a black feather. Wrapped around the bottom half of the skull was a black snake. On the page of the book opposite the one the skull was resting on was a crude image of the philosopher’s stone, the silhouettes of a male and female within the inner circle.
Looking back to the paper, I noticed the image had disappeared. The words were also gone. Most of the paper had disintegrated. The only thing left were some small shreds, reminding me of crimson ashes. I blew away the pieces, letting them rest in peace.
Cackling sounds flooded the room as the librarian’s whiney voice came on over the loudspeaker. Ten minutes until closing time. Sighing again, I shook my head to clear my thoughts.
They only became more convoluted.
Grabbing my books and papers, I stuffed everything into my bag, slinging it over my shoulders. I left the building, walking into the darkness of the cool night. The air was crisp and fresh, rejuvenating after spending so much time locked in the library. The silence was a harmless casket around my mind.
I decided to walk over to a small cemetery so that I could think things through in peace.
It was that night that I was dragged down to hell.

neuravinci

Contribution : 2440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Demon Soul-by Neuravinci, Chapter 2, Fantasy/YA

Post  luckynamegame on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am

There we go, haha. I should have read this first before reviewing the first chapter, my bad.
I like this chapter because it's got that mysterious, almost paranormal feel to it. I really, really admire how you so easily tap into that genre. Your writing is somewhat dark and eerie, but with such a unique edge that I love it. I'm so happy to see your work on here, and can't wait to read some more!

--Luck
luckynamegame

Contribution : 2454

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  neuravinci on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:11 am

Thank you so much!

I love that your work is on here too. You should consider putting up Temperamental--such a wonderful story! (which, btw, you need to update on fp, ahem.)

neuravinci

Contribution : 2440

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down