Fiction Master
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If Only Tonight - By Andene, Chapter 10, Romance

Go down

If Only Tonight - By Andene, Chapter 10, Romance Empty If Only Tonight - By Andene, Chapter 10, Romance

Post  Andene Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:47 am

[b]Into The Storm

Chapter Ten: Aftershocks
[/b]

"Take her to the couch; I'll go get a shirt." Oliver told him.

Matthew nodded. It was all he could do. Never had he felt as though someone mattered to him. For the first time it was…Mia.

She was still crying into his shoulder. He didn't know whether they were tears of relief or fear. Probably a mix of both? He supposed.

"Nathaniel, do you think you can get me a wet cloth or something…my knuckles are bleeding." Matthew said to the other boy.

As the two players moved to get the things, Matthew was left the difficult task of getting Mia to the couch.

"Mia…come on…let me take you to the couch." He told her, softly.

When it became apparent that she was still in too much shock to move; Matthew put an arm under her legs, and lifted her. Putting her down gently on the couch, Matthew managed to maneuver himself to be sitting beside her. Her hands were wrapped around one of his arms now. It reminded him of the times she slept next to him, her vice-grip like hold cutting off the circulation in his arm.

"Mia, its okay…shh…you're alright…" He murmured to her.

"I know…" Came a hoarse whisper. Her tears had lessened. She was starting to calm down.

Matthew rested his cheek on the top of her head. She had to feel something between them. There was no other way to explain why she turned to him, or why when she was scared she held on to him; even after he terrorized her, still she would come to him.

As he heard footsteps coming from the direction of the rooms, Matthew lifted his head and shifted away slightly. Oliver had come back with a large t-shirt for Mia.

"Mia, you need to change." Oliver told her gently. He sat down beside her.

Matthew felt her tight hold on him loosen. She lifted her head to see Oliver.

"Go wash up. Then we need to talk about what happened." Oliver said, as he handed her the shirt.

"Okay…" Mia sounded exhausted.

Watching as she slowly got to her feet and rather unsteadily walked to the bathroom. Matthew fought the urge to walk her there himself. As the door closed, Oliver turned to face him. Questions were apparent in his eyes.

"Before you ask, I have no idea what happened." Matthew told him, quickly.

Before Oliver could say anything, Nathaniel finally reappeared.

"Do you know how hard it is to find bandages and a tube of Polysporin around here?" He said as he walked towards the two.

"What took you so long?" Matthew asked; he had forgotten about his cuts.

"Oliver told me to look in the other room…it's like a jungle in there." Nathaniel said sitting in between both Oliver and Matthew, as he handed him a wet cloth, some bandages, and a tube of ointment.

"Where's Mia?" Nathaniel asked with concern.

"Washing up." Oliver told him.

"So what happened?" Oliver finally asked Matthew and Nathaniel.

"Matthew opened the door, and we found Mia screaming while Jason had her pinned against that wall." Nathaniel gestured to the wall where they had found Mia.

Matthew watched as Oliver's hands clenched in to fists.

"Why was he here in the first place?" Oliver asked; his eyes were hard.

"No clue. But I think Jason had it planned…" Matthew said quietly.

"What makes you say that?" The older boy asked.

"Nathaniel and I saw Drake in the corridor…something was definitely up. He bolted after I asked him where Jason was." Matthew remembered.

The sound of the door opening made the three of them turn to look at Mia as she walked towards them. Oliver promptly got up and led Mia to where he had been sitting. Grabbing a bar-stool from under the kitchen counter, Oliver joined them, sitting beside Mia.

She looked pale and weary. Matthew looked over her, trying to see if she had gotten hurt anywhere else. Sure enough, there was a bluish mark on her jaw. Jason! Matthew thought with anger. He must have held her tightly, that sick bast- Matthew's inward rant was interrupted by Oliver.

"Mia, what happened? How did Jason get in?" He asked gently. Mia curled up on the couch; the large t-shirt engulfing her.

"You went in to the bathroom, and I was still watching TV. I heard a knock at the door. I thought maybe Matt forgot his keys. So I answered it and there was Jason." She told them.

"Why was he there?" Nathaniel asked.

"He told me that he had been in a bar fight…and he hurt his jaw. He wanted me to look at it. I told him that he should go to Jon…but he said Jon isn't in on weekends and it would just take a few minutes. So I let him in…I'm sorry! I didn't want to but he said he got hurt! I should have listened to you two!" Mia started to cry once more; her head on her knees.

She thinks we're angry with her? Is she for real? Matthew thought. He knew Oliver wasn't angry, and neither was he. Matthew watched as Oliver put an arm around her, trying to soothe her.

"Shh…shh…Mia we're not angry with you." Oliver told her.

"So then what happened?" Nathaniel asked, as Mia's tears started to subside.

"I told him I didn't see any bruise or anything. He probably wasn't even in a bar fight…He told me to check again, and I was about to tell him there wasn't anything there when he shoved me against the wall…" Mia sniffled.

Matthew could feel his blood boil once more, he looked down to see his fists clenched. What would possess Jason to pull something like that? Unless he really thought Mia meant something to Matthew…How could he know? Matthew asked himself.

"I tried to fight but Jason's like a brick wall…nothing worked." He looked up only to find tears running down her face again. Jason had done a number on her.

"Here…" Matthew leaned over to give her a tissue. She took it from him…muttering a 'thank you'. They all sat in silence for a little while. The only sound was of Mia's sniffs.

"Come on, let's get you to bed. We'll talk in the morning." Oliver said at last. He took Mia by the hand and led her to their room. Matthew watched her leave; it looked like a child being led to bed by a parent. Thankfully Oliver was there for the parenting part, Matthew thought. Oliver always knew what to do.

"Should we call the police?" Nathaniel asked, taking Matthew out of his reverie.

"Let's ask Oliver…" Matthew said, knowing it would be best to run it by the older one of them.

Oliver came out shortly, closing the bedroom door behind him.

"Oliver…should we go to the police?" Nathaniel asked as Oliver sat with them on the couch.

"It's up to Mia…but we definitely need to tell Felix tomorrow." Oliver answered. It wasn't long before silence fell over them. The question that lingered was what tomorrow would entail?

-----

It was after lunch, and Mia found herself in Felix's office. Oliver, Matthew, and Nathaniel were there with her.

When she had woken up, Oliver and Matthew were waiting for her on the couch. The serious looks on their faces told her that the night before had not been a nightmare. Jason's attack had been real. She was surprised that she had been able to sleep even after that.

Oliver had asked her if she wanted to report to the police. Mia shot down the suggestion despite it being the smart thing to do. Dealing with the police was something she didn't want to do; they had left her with a bad taste since her brother's death. I wish you were here, Max…Mia thought, before her attention returned to Felix.

She had spent quite a while telling him what had happened. It had been at Oliver's insistence that she had agreed to come. It was best if Felix knew, she thought now.

"Matthew what happened when you came in?" Felix asked.

Mia listened to Matthew retell what happened. She couldn't believe how lucky she was when he had come in through the door. Mia shuddered to think what would have happened if Matthew had been any more late.

"I shoved him out of the apartment, while Nathaniel and Oliver were with Mia." Mia heard Matthew tell Felix.

All she could think of was Matthew holding her. He felt safe to her; encircled in his arms she had felt protected. For the first time she had heard him sound gentle when he had spoken to her. Doesn't he hate me? Mia asked herself. He had spent so much time testing her patience, but he had been there for her. Mia cleared her mind of all thoughts.

Hearing Nathaniel's voice, she knew he was only confirming what Matthew had already said.

As they all finished telling Felix what had happened the night before, Felix had a serious look on his face. It was clear to Mia, the older man was deliberating something.

"Mia…are you sure you don't want to go to the police?" Felix asked her once more.

"I'm sure." She answered.

"Alright then…I will talk to Jason. For now, he'll be suspended for the next four months. He will not be allowed on the grounds during this period. He'll have to be moved from the North West Wing…and I will move him off your roster, permanently." At this Mia sighed with relief. She wouldn't have to deal with him at all.

"What about Drake?" Matthew asked. Mia had only seen or heard of Drake once or twice. From what Matthew had said, it looked like he had known Jason would be after her.

"I'm not sure I can do anything about Drake. He wasn't a part of this. But since he is Jason's roommate I will talk to him…and I will have to move them both from the wing." Felix told them.

As their meeting with Felix came to an end, Mia walked behind Nathaniel as they exited the office.

"We meet again." She heard someone sneer. Her heart started racing with panic.

She saw Jason. He winked at her, and licked his lips.

A growl sounded from behind her. Mia turned to see Matthew. There was a ferocious look in his eyes. Oliver, who stood behind Matthew, looked equally angry. He put a hand on Matthew's shoulder and motioned to Mia to keep walking, steering Matthew away.

Upon reaching their room, Mia felt relief pulse through her. She wouldn't have to deal with Jason, he wouldn't be around for the next little while, and he wouldn't be in the same wing as her.

Mia sat down on the couch, watching Oliver go to their room and Matthew walk to the kitchen. Mia felt an odd sense of camaraderie between them. Although they had known each other for a very short while, the two footballers had been there for her.

Yet there was a feeling she couldn't shake off. Like Matthew and Oliver, even Nathaniel, knew something about Jason. She had a feeling that something similar had happened before. The way they had handled this…Jason had to have done something before. Mia let the thoughts disappear. She would make sure to ask them later. Right now, all she wanted was to forget the last twenty four hours.

Catching Matthew's eye, Mia turned away to turn on the television. She had never thought it would be Matthew coming to her rescue, usually she had thought it would be him she would need rescuing from. As Matthew sat on the far end of the couch, Mia couldn't help but thank him silently for what he had done.
Andene
Andene

Contribution : 4508

https://www.facebook.com/AndeneTheWriter

Back to top Go down